Important Update from Make-A-Wish Maine
In such an unprecedented time, like many of you, we have been managing the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. Like you, we share the concern and uncertainty. We want to assure you that Make-A-Wish remains focused on keeping our wish kids and families, community supporters, volunteers, and employees safe. At this time, due to current medical and public concerns, Make-A-Wish has made a few difficult decisions that we wanted to make you aware of:
- All wish travel has been postponed until further notice, as well as wish kid participation in all activities and events related to Make-A-Wish that involve large gatherings. We have been in contact with each of the impacted families and we will grant each postponed wish as soon as we can. We will continue to monitor guidance from national and international public health and government organizations, including the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO) and U.S. State Department, and are working closely with the National Make-A-Wish Medical Advisory Council, keeping the best interest of the children and families we serve at the center of all policy decisions we make. The health and safety of our wish families is our priority – and, as always, we remain committed to our vision of granting the wish of every eligible child fighting a critical illness.
If you are a wish family and have concerns about your upcoming wish, please contact your Wish Coordinator directly.
- We have requested volunteers utilize virtual meetings to continue communication with wish families.
- We have limited all in-person meetings, including board, volunteer and committee meetings. In lieu, we will conduct meetings via video conference or conference call until further notice.
- We are moving our Walk for Wishes to a VIRTUAL WALK on May 21st!
We are taking the Walk for Wishes VIRTUAL! In the best interest of the children and families we serve, we want to make sure that everyone can safely participate in this year’s event. So while we're walking at a social distance, we're united behind wishes! Wherever you are on May 21, 2020 we invite you to lace up your shoes and WALK so Maine children can WISH.
- We have postponed other various fundraising events:
- Wishes on Tap – postponed to June 19th
- Fantasy Auction – postponed until further notice
Given the statewide stay-at-home order, our staff will be working remotely through April 30th to ensure the health and safety of our team. This decision does not come lightly but is of the utmost importance as we work to responsibly support our community. We are working to ensure you can expect typical response times from us when contacting us. Please continue to contact your Make-A-Wish representative via phone or email.