Make-A-Wish will accept interns to work in their Portland office on a semester basis. Fall semester will be Sept.-Dec.; spring semesters will be Jan.-May; and summer semester June-Sept. We seek college junior/senior level or graduate students currently enrolled in an academic program.
Internships will be uncompensated positions.
Interns should demonstrate a sincere interest in our mission and philosophy, and understand that their role as in intern will require them to perform a variety of tasks involved in all aspects of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write “Wish Stories” for each and every wish child that is granted a wish during their semester. This will include seeking information on the wish details from staff members, volunteers and wish families and turning that info into a compelling story which depicts how Make-A-Wish's mission is fulfilled. Help to share the wish stories when appropriate with media outlets, donors and volunteers and provide copy of wish story to wish family.
- Work with Program staff to complete various tasks relative to the delivery of wishes
- Support major fundraising events (Walk for Wishes, Chips N Dips, and Fantasy Auction) as well as any local external events that other community organizations and groups conduct on our behalf
- Assist with various projects related to recognition of volunteer, donors, etc.
- Manage the recruitment of interns for following semester:
- Posting of opportunity at local collegiate sources
- Collection of all incoming applications, responding to applicants
- Continued communication with applicants until paperwork is complete
- Initial phone interview with applicants
- Work with Volunteer Director to select applicants for interviews
- Office tour and training of selected intern prior to semester transition
- Assist in development and updating of intern handbook
- Assist staff members with other projects as assigned
- Assist in general office duties (answering phones, etc.)